Thursday 21 July 2011

Strap on your feedbag

So the recovery days have been a bit frustrating, but not riding has given me the chance to recharge my batteries a little bit. After spending a day in Canmore watching the team relay event and icing my knee a lot, I had a big dinner with Peter Wellsman and drove north up through Banff National Park and camped at the bottom of the Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia Ice Fields. It was amazing. Not super cold, but really quiet. When you don't have TV or internet it seems like time slows down.

Getting up the next morning I drove to Edmonton with a little stop in Jasper to walk through town and grab lunch. My speed was very inconsistent on the drive because I'd get distracted by how massive the mountains were and then realize I was only doing 80, so I'd get it back up to 120 and then gradually slow back down. Driving right through the Rocky Mountains is amazing. I saw another black bear too which brings my bear-tally to three on this trip.

After getting into Edmonton I got a tour of Roddi's place and picked my room for the rest of the week. Now I'm just picking at all of my scabs and telling Roddi that I'll feed them to his cats if they keep bothering me.

Other than that not much is new. I sampled some of Roddi's chocolate Cheerios which I would give a 7.5/10, and now I am going to try to warm up my knee so that I can check out the Canada Cup course this afternoon.

The good part about not riding much is it's allowed me to put on a little extra weight for Mongolia. I think after riding 1200k in nine days I'm going to look like I just escaped from Aushwitz when I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment